November 9 to 29 Days of Action to Support the Palestinian Right of Return and the Palestinian Civil Society Call against the Segregation WallSeptember 16th, 2005
Palestinian Civil Society Call to Action
Over 180 Palestinian unions, associations, and coalitions have issued a powerful call to people of conscience for "broad boycotts and to implement divestment initiatives against Israel" and to urge their governments to apply sanctions and embargoes "until Israel meets its obligation to recognize the Palestinian people's inalienable right to self-determination and fully complies with the precepts of international law by:
1. Ending its occupation and colonization of all Arab lands and dismantling the wall;
2. Recognizing the fundamental rights of the Arab-Palestinian citizens of Israel to full equality; and
3. Respecting, protecting, and promoting the rights of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and properties as stipulated in UN resolution 194."
WE URGE ALL OUR MEMBER GROUPS TO DO AN ACTION IN NOVEMBER TO REFLECT THESE THREE POINTS. YOU CAN ADOPT THE PROPOSED ACTION BELOW OR DO YOUR OWN.
Proposed Action for the National Days of Action November 9 to 29:
1. Pick a day or a series of days between 9 and 29 November you plan to take action.
2. Reserve a lawn space or organize a standing vigil.
3. Print out 57 copies (representing 57 years of the non-enforcement of UN Resolution 194 calling for the Right of Return) of the “BAN CATERKILLER” posters
4. On the back of each one write the names of the victims who were murdered by Caterpillar bulldozers and are named in the law suit against Caterpillar as well as the names of Palestinian villages destroyed in 1948 click here & see below
5. Place the posters on metal wires that can then be left standing in grass &/or organize a group to carry them in a silent vigil, protest, or demonstration.
6. Pass out and make available informational fliers to passers-bye and participants see below
7. Organize a handful of volunteers to encourage passers-bye and participants to sign the STOP CAT postcards to be sent to Caterpillar CEO, James Owens Download postcards here
8. Take photos of your actions and write a brief description of your event including the total number of postcards you collected and send the photos and the write-up to the US Campaign at email@example.com. The US Campaign will then chronicle the activities of the Coalition’s member organizations throughout the United States on its interactive web site where you will be able to see your own action publicized nationally as well as those activities of your organizational counterparts. The US Campaign will also monitor the collection of postcards to be sent to CAT and update the national total on its web site daily. On 29 November, the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People, the US Campaign will send out a press advisory announcing the activities of its member organizations throughout the US as well as the final tally on the number of postcards collected. The postcards will be delivered to James Owens and CAT shareholders during the next year as a part of the CAT Campaign.
* Reiterate the aforementioned goals of the Palestinian Civil Society Call to Action.
* Reassert the importance of the Palestinian Right of Return as defined in UN Resolution 194.
* Highlight the illegality of the Apartheid Wall and call for its destruction
* Strengthen the CAT Campaign by collecting at least 2,000 postcards to be sent to CEO James Owens urging him to cease bulldozer sales to Israel.
Organize your own Innovative Action in November 2005!
November is an important month to plan events in your community on Palestine and mobilize for actions. In addition to November 9 and 29, there are many other dates that can be used to mobilize for action, including November 15, the Palestinian declaration of independence.
The important thing is to take this opportunity to organize an action in your community. If you don’t want to do the above action—THAT’S FINE! Organize your own fabulous event whether it be a teach-in, a direct action, a press conference, a fundraiser, or launching your own divestment/boycott campaign today—DO IT and tell us what you did and how you did it. We are also available to provide you with resources (fact sheets, CAT postcards, a list of speakers available to speak in your area, assistance in drafting a press release, or connecting with activists who have successfully launched divestment/boycott campaigns )—for additional help or resources, contact Noura Erakat, National Grassroots Organizer, firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.543.1778.
Right of Return: http://www.endtheoccupation.org/article.php?id=986
CAT Campaign: http://www.catdestroyshomes.org/article.php?id=101
Download and print the PDF yourself by clicking here
Or the US Campaign can send you as many as you need.
Call 202.543.1778 Email email@example.com
BAN CATERKILLER POSTERS:
ADDITIONAL SUPPORT &/OR RESOURCES
Contact Noura Erakat, National Grassroots Organizer at:
NAMES OF VICTIMS MURDERED/ INJURED BY CAT AND MENTIONED IN THE LAW SUIT AGAINST CATERPILLAR*:
Umar Al Sho'bi, NABLUS: APRIL 5, 2002 murdered
Fatima Al Sho'bi, NABLUS: APRIL 5, 2002 murdered
Abir Al Sho'bi, NABLUS: APRIL 5, 2002 murdered
Samir Al Sho'bi, NABLUS: APRIL 5, 2002 murdered
Annas Al Sho'bi, NABLUS: APRIL 5, 2002 murdered
Azzam Al Sho'bi, NABLUS: APRIL 5, 2002 murdered
Abdallah Al Sho'bi, NABLUS: APRIL 5, 2002 murdered
Jamal Fayed, JENIN: APRIL 9, 2002
Rachel Corrie, RAFAH: March 16, 2003
Bahjat Abu Hussein, RAFAH: SEPTEMBER 3, 2002 injured
Nour Abu Hussein, RAFAH: SEPTEMBER 3, 2002 injured
Ahmed Abu Hussein, RAFAH: SEPTEMBER 3, 2002 injured
Sabah Abu Hussein, RAFAH: SEPTEMBER 3, 2002 injured
Ibrahim Mahmoud Mohammed Khalafallah, KHAN YOUNIS REFUGEE CAMP: July 12, 2004 murdered
*For more information about the lawsuit and possible talking points, please contact Noura Erakat.
NAMES OF PALESTINIAN VILLAGES DESTROYED IN 1948:
See a list of 418 villages destroyed at Palestine Net
POSSIBLE MESSAGES & SLOGANS:
CAT: Bulldozing Homes, Erasing History
Caterpillar bulldozes the Palestinian Right of Return
Palestinian refugees want to go home, Caterpillar bulldozes them
APARTHEID WALL: Separating Lives and Memories, Killing Palestinian Society
APARTHEID WALL: Furthering 57 years of Dispossession
Build Solidarity: Draw connections between the Palestinian struggle for self-determination and those of people of color in the United States—particularly Latin American immigrants subject to violence at the US-Mexican border and African-Americans subject to systematic displacement and dispossession as a consequence of urban gentrification and institutional neglect as demonstrated by the tragedy of Katrina. Possible slogans/messages to highlight these connections include: